Friday, May 11, 2007

Sugar Babe Looking for a Sugar Daddy

"Sugar Daddy dating delivers to people who are aware of the finer things in life and understand that good living is not a luxury, but a necessity" -Sugardaddie.com

I don't really watch Dr. Phil. I'm not too sure I trust his methods. However, a couple of months ago, my friend and ex-roomie from undergrad -a die-hard Dr. Phil fan - came to visit for a week. Being the good host that I am, she had control of the remote control throughout her stay. I remember watching a lot of DP that week (unfortunately) but the episode that stood out, hands down, was the sugar daddy online dating one. Basically, there are websites geared towards matching golddiggers with lonely, rich old papas. I was appalled! Did people actually sign up for this? Wasn't this blatant gold-digging? Have these women no pride, no sense of integrity etc.? These men are despicable! These are the complaints I voiced to her. She nodded. She agreed. She too was appalled...or so I thought.

A month later, my phone's a-ringing...

Ex-Roomie: So, I've been talking to this guy
CandyS: Omg! Really? Who? Where'd you meet? I want DETAILS! (I get excited very easily)
Ex-Roomie: Well, he's a lot older
CandyS: Guurrrlll, older is always better. Remember how we said we're past dealing with little boys. They're such a waste of time. Still trying to find themselves and still trying to get their shit together. ..
Ex-Roomie: yeah...
CandyS: So, how much older? Early thirties?
Ex-Roomie: More like early forties
*brief silence*
CandyS: Oh?
Ex-Roomie: Before you say anything, it's quite normal
CandyS: For a 22 year old to date her father?
Ex-Roomie: Sharap! My aunt was 21 when she married her husband. He was 40 and they've been together for 20 years
CandyS: Good for them...
Ex-Roomie: Besides, I'm GROWN. I need to be with someone who is either on or above my level, intellectually. I feel like I could learn so much from him.
CandyS: Is that so?
Ex-Roomie: You are a were! I can smell your sarcasm but I knew you wouldn't understand.
Nobody understood what Bianca saw in Ojukwu and how long have they been married?
CandyS: Hisss! What has Bianca got to do with you? You're an idiot! How'd you guys even meet sef?
Ex-Roomie: With your attitude, I don't think I want to tell you
CandyS: Suit yourself
Ex-Roomie: blurts out Online!
CandyS: What? Are you crazy? He could be a psycho for all you know. Please tell me you're kidding! Are you so desperate that you had to resort to match.com?
Ex-Roomie: Who said anything about match.com?
CandyS: What website then?
Ex-Roomie: Remember that Dr. Phil episode we watched, about...

And then she went into detail about how she set up an account on sugardaddie.com a couple of days after watching DP, how she got a lot of positive feedback on her profile from a couple of these sugar daddies, how she talked to all of them for a couple of weeks to keep her options open and how she finally settled on and "fell in love" (I don't think people know what this phrase means) with Michael (that's what we'll call him). I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I kept asking myself, how am I friends with this girl again? Of course I was very skeptical! And I let her know as much! I pleaded with her to end this madness but she went on and on about how they'd hit it off so quickly and how she could talk to him for hours and hours over the phone and how this had nothing to do with his money -she was ssoooo past that, now that she had gotten to know him. He was "the one". In the end, I could see there was no changing her mind. The girl was "in love". I'm actually not too surprised by her actions. She's always been a free-spirit, risk-taker and dangerously spontaneous (alright, so maybe's she's just a golddigger). She is of the opinion that the cinderella story is in fact her very own life story. Yes - na by force!

This conversation took place months ago. They've since met up a couple of times - he's visited her and she's visited him - and according to her, the love has only grown stronger (cringe!). I've since googled Michael and all I can say is my dear friend has indeed hit the jackpot. In a couple of weeks, my friend and her older lover are off to Europe for a cliche' romantic getaway. I still find the whole episode very disturbing and I worry about her every now and then. I think maybe, just maybe, I might be overreacting. People do meet on dating websites, fall in love and live happily ever after. But sugardaddie.com? I dunno about that. Well, like she said, she's "grown". *Sigh* I wonder how long this will last.

Girl: Mommy, how did you and Daddy meet?
Mom: I saw daddy's net worth on a dating website and it was love at first sight.

3 comments:

? said...

I do not envy any sugar daddy or babe. Dont think am ready for a sugar baby/toddler.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get into this "business" but I'm always interested in what others are thinking..

Unknown said...

I was on sugardaddie.com for about 6 months. I would not recommend it to anyone. They are older men, looking to f*ck young, naive girls. Because they are successful and intelligent, it is very easy for them to manipulate the ladies and tell them everything they want to hear. It's believable, because the old guys stress how they are older, ready to settle down, too busy, etc. But, it's all a lie. They are no better than a horny teen, but use their success as leverage as to why they shouldn't be judged as the typical young horny frat boy.

The first one I dated is a doctor in Florida - let's just say around the Boca Raton, Wellington, Ft. Lauderdale, Del Rey area. Very handsome, never married, really sweet, thoughtful, kind, went out of his way. Talked to him for a few months as he pursued me and convinced me that he was honestly interested in me. He flew out to see me, after months of talking on a daily basis. Everything was as good as it was on the phone. He said he was (and I was) already emotionally attached. He made plans with me of trips and made me a part of his decisions in work and personal matters. We had sex, and after *ZAP!*, he faded away. He would pretend he was still 100% into me, but not call, and the whole time he was logged into Sugardaddie - obviously seeking the next victim(s).

After him, I spoke with quite a few other guys from Sugardaddie. I was just trying to understand guys on the site. They were all successful, older, and all single. What I realized, is all these older, successful men have all the same lines and lies. They use the same excuses. I didn't bother to meet up with any of them, because I was aware of their scheme now. They plan trips and want to fly ladies everywhere and anywhere. Of course, it's to get laid, and because they have money, it's like handing a younger woman a dollar to have sex with her. After sex the girl never gets another call, or they f*ck her for a few months until they get tired of her. They all play the same game, and they're all trying to f*ck as many ladies on the site that they can.

There were a few guys who were very persistent about their interest in me, and each asked me to pick my dream trip. I told each one that if I go on the trip, we would NOT be having sex, since I didn't know them. Guess what? After weeks to months of pursuing me, as soon as I said NO SEX, I never heard from them again! LoL!

If you don't mind putting out for a few hundred dollars worth of shopping or taking a trip with some old guy, so he can bang you, then sign up for this site. 99.9% you are NOT going to find love. The men on these types of sites are aggressive businessmen, and ladies are just something for them to stick their d*ck into.

I work hard and can afford my own trips and shopping sprees. The emotional strain these womanizers put on you, is not worth the stress and aggrevation.